Friday, January 13, 2012

Chalkboard Paint

The new year is here, and with that, I've had great intentions of blogging more. I lay in bed each night, thinking I have a head full of ideas to share. Unfortunately, as usual, life just seems to get in the way of my blogging fun! This morning, I'm finally at it. We have a day off from school, and it's snowing outside, (YEAH!), so I feel like tackling a project. I'm thinking it may be my dining room table..........
There's a bit of a story to it. I have two of the same. My parents had bought my husband and I this farmhouse table as a wedding gift, then went back to the awesome store they bought it from,(The Calico Hen's House!), and bought one for themselves. My table, after three kids, had seen better days. It's soft pine, so anytime my kids decided to draw pictures, their designs were etched into the table top. One night at dinner, my husband decided he'd add to it.
Not sure if he was sweet, or crazy!

Last year, my parents did a complete remodel of their kitchen,including the purchase of a new dining table. Which, may I add, is gorgeous! Mom asked if I'd like her table, since it was in impeccable condition. I moved mine down to my work area, replaced it with hers, and had every intention of making sure it stayed the way we received it. I think that lasted about a month. My daughter is in kindergarten, and very much in to practicing the letters and words she's been learning. I had asked my kids to use a magazine under their papers when writing to save the table, but she "forgot". Now I have the abc's, 123's, and several other little princess drawings etched into this table.
So, what to do............
I've looked at pretty tablecloths. There are lots of nice options.
Like this one from Target.....


I've also considered having a top made, similar to this table from Ballard Designs.
Hmmmm......It's on sale...........

Last night another idea popped into my head.........What about painting the top with chalkboard paint?! When I mentioned the idea to my husband, he shook his head no. IF I decide to go for it, I'm just going to pretend I didn't see him. :) I love chalkboards. I have a great old one that I change out with the seasons.
I could see writing fun sayings on the table, like "EAT, DRINK, BE MERRY", or celebratory sayings for different family occasions. Wouldn't it be cute to draw a birthday cake with candles and balloons on the table for someone's special day?!

Before I dive in, and just do it, I thought I'd hit Pinterest and look for some "pinspiration". :)
Here are a few tables I found.



Cute ideas to ponder. I figure worst case scenario, if I don't like it, I'll repaint it and distress it, or just go to the first idea, and throw a pretty table cloth over it!

Before I sign out, I have to share some of the other chalk board paint fun!













If that's not enough for you, go to Pinterest and type in chalkboard paint. The possibilities are endless!

Enjoy your day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment